A cleft lip is a common birth defect that occurs at a very early stage of pregnancy, shown as a separation of the upper lip due to the incomplete growth of the upper lip or roof of the mouth.
If your baby suffers from cleft lip, your only choice to change his life for better is to undergo Cleft lip repair surgery.
What are a cleft lip and palate repair surgery?
A cleft lip and palate repair surgery is a cosmetic operation that corrects the abnormal growth of the upper lip and restores the lips function and grow normally, enhancing the appearance of the lips.
Who is the right candidate?
The right candidate for cleft lip and palate repair surgery should be:
- Your child should be between 2 and 6 months old to correct the cleft lip
- Your child should be between 9 and 18 months old to treat the cleft palate
- Your child suffers from the abnormal appearance of the upper lip
- You child faces feeding, hearing, and dental problems
How should I prepare for cleft lip and palate repair surgery?
Preparing for cleft lip and palate repair surgery is required the following instructions:
- Disclosing your child’s health history, which includes current medicines
- Undergoing diagnostic tests
- Following all instructions prescribed by the doctor before the surgery
What are the steps of cleft lip and palate repair surgery?
Cleft lip and palate repair surgery include the following procedures:
- The surgery is carried out under general anesthesia
- Making incisions on both sides of the cleft
- Pulling the flaps of skin and tissue of the cleft together and closing the cleft, producing a normal appearance.
- To treat the cleft palate, the palate tissue and muscles are repositioned, which helps to close the cleft and to restore the normal appearance of the mouth roof.
- Finally, the incisions are closed by absorbable sutures
The recovery process for your child depends on the extent to which you follow the post-operative instructions recommended by your doctor. These tips include:
- Follow liquid or puree diets
- Avoid using milk bottles, pacifiers, and straws
- Prevent your child from touching the treated areas using arm restraints.
- Taking the necessary medication prescribed by the doctor
- Keep your child away from the sun to avoid any irregular scars possible
Blue Care Clinic’s journey began in 2017 with a big dream to be one of the leading companies in healthcare and all medical specialties in Istanbul. Blue care seeks to become the first and most reliable destination accredited by reputable international medical organizations.
We at Blue Care believe that your health is the most valuable asset you have, so we harness all our wide experience and medical staff to provide the best health care services for you, achieving your healthy body with an ideal appearance that you have always dreamed of. We believe in our high skills which qualify us to change your life for the best.