If you are bothered by protruding or misshapen ears due to birth defects or certain accidents, looking for a solution to treat your ears, Otoplasty surgery may be your cosmetic option to restore the natural contour of your ear!
Ear surgery is a powerful procedure to correct any deformities and enhance your ears to be proportioned with your face.
What is ear surgery?
Ear surgery (Otoplasty) is a cosmetic surgery that corrects ear conditions, such as large ears, protruding ears, ears with large lobes, or shell ears. It is performed to enhance ear shape and features, ensuring completely normal ears.
Are you the right candidate?
You are a good candidate for ear surgery if:
- You are in good health.
- You don’t suffer from certain diseases that might hamper the surgery or impair healing.
- Generally, children must be at least five years old
- For protruding ear, you should be at least 21 years old.
- You suffer from protruding or large ears.
- You have ear deformities resulting from congenital disability or accident.
- You should have realistic expectations for the surgery results.
How should I prepare for ear surgery?
Preparing for ear surgery requires the following instructions:
- Do the necessary lab tests or medical evaluation prescribed by your doctor.
- Stop smoking for at least one month before the operation.
- Make sure to take the required medications prescribed by your doctor.
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory medicines, and herbal supplements, which might increase the bleeding during the operation.
- Stop taking stimulates, such as Arabic coffee and alcohol, before the operation.
- Stay away from blood-thinning food or drinks, which might lead to increase bleeding during and after the operation.
What are the steps of the ear Surgery?
Ear surgery includes the following steps:
· Anesthesia stage
In Otoplasty, the patient is given a local or general anesthesia. Usually, the doctor decides on the anesthesia type, which suits the patient situation.
· Making incisions
Generally, the incision is made on the back of the ear or might be carried out on the front of the ear within the folds so that no visible scars can appear.
· Correcting ear
In most of the ear conditions, the cartilage of the ear is reshaped and remodeled. The protruding ear is a common condition treated by increasing the antithetical fold inside the rim of the ear and decreasing the ear’s conchal cartilage.
· Closing incision
The incisions are closed with external stitches.
After the operation, the patient should follow some necessary instructions which ensure fast recovery from the surgery.
- Wear bandages or dressings to keep the area clean and support the new position of the ear for ten days
- Take the medicines, including the painkillers and antibiotics prescribed by your doctor to help you control your pain and prevent infection
- It is advisable to take rest up to 2 weeks before going back to normal activities.
- Children can go back to school two weeks after the operation.
- Stay away from sunlight.
- Avoid itching the treatment areas.
- Stay away from swimming for six weeks.
- Avoid sports, or strenuous activates for two months.
- Avoid smoking for five weeks after the operation.
- Stay away from hot or Turkish bath.
Blue Care Clinic’s journey began in 2017 with a big dream to be one of the leading companies in healthcare and all medical specialties in Istanbul. Blue care seeks to become the first and most reliable destination accredited by reputable international medical organizations.
We at Blue Care believe that your health is the most valuable asset you have, so we harness all our wide experience and medical staff to provide the best health care services for you, achieving your healthy body with an ideal appearance that you have always dreamed of. We believe in our high skills which qualify us to change your life for the best.